Today we talk a lot about grades and grading in school. From time to time politicos transform the system. From one day to the next, we should use numbers (1,2,3,4,5) well done or not (MVG, VG, G; IG) and letters (A, B, C…). But does it really matter? No one is the same and it’s important to think about that. If the knowledge has to be value, we must see the individual and after that receive the grade. I am against grades in primary school, but if we must they must be of great use.
First, I think of the competition against the pupils if we have grades early. They, who are gifted will probably match each other if they know about the grades. They, who already have a tough time and hard to learn, probably are feeling worse than before.
Second, the marks can alter between different schools and units. In that case we must have nationwide coverage scale, where there is specific information about what the pupils ought and shall know for a stage that has passed. This will be a pattern to work after. If teachers work after that scale, it won’t be misleading.
Although, pupils could be inhibited and aspired, it could be good with early marks. Pedagogue then early could see how the learning process has been and also if any achievement must be done. To help these pupils early, we must think that the community has possibility to put in some money for support.
Finally, I must say that I don’t think using early mark/grade is being no use for either the school or pupils. It has been bad economy for a long time now, and a number or a letter on a paper doesn’t help them if the money doesn’t exist. But if we give pupils a safe ground to stand on and help them from their condition, we also do the best use to them.
Prenumerera på:
Kommentarer till inlägget (Atom)
Dear Mia,
SvaraRaderaThank you for your thoughts on the subject of grades in primary school. I enjoyed reading about your views on the subject!
In your introduction you give a general background to the topic of grades, which is the way to go, and then you end the paragraph with a thesis statement. However, your thesis statement contains two ideas, which is one too many. Make sure to simplify your thesis statements and make them arguable – you could have said e.g. “Grades in primary school do more harm than good” and then you could have listed the arguments you have. In the body of the text you deal with one argument per paragraph, and in one of them you give a counter argument which you then begin to refute. However, you should have written a bit more there, since your refutation is still too vague. You could e.g. have said something about the financial situation which does not allow for qualified support for the weaker students. In your concluding paragraph you sum up your main points and make a final remark, which is exactly what your supposed to do. You use topic sentences throughout and you also use transitional devices in them. See if you can make more use of linking devices within the paragraphs as well.
As to language, there are things that need to be pointed out. Rather than “be value” you should write “be valueD”. I wonder if you actually mean “receive” in “after that receive the grade” – don’t you mean “give”? “But if we must” is unclear and I wonder if you mean ”but if we have to use them”. In “They, who are gifted will probably match each other if they know about the grades. They, who already have a tough time and hard to learn, probably are feeling worse than before.“ there should be no comma after “they”. In “the marks can alter between different schools and units” I guess you mean ”differ” rather than ”alter”. In “we must have nationwide coverage scale” an indefinite article in needed after ”have”. Rather than “for a stage that has passed” you could write ”at a specific stage”. Another awkward expression is found in “if any achievement must be done”, where I suppose you mean “if the pupil needs extra support”? Rather than “the community has possibility” you should say ”the community is able to”. In “early mark/grade” you should use the plural forms, and in “I don’t think using early mark/grade is being no use for either the school or pupils” you use two negations. Instead of “is being no use” you should write “is of any use”. In “do the best use to them” I guess you mean ”are of most use to them” or ”do the most good”.
Keep it up!
Best,
Marika
Dear Mia,
SvaraRaderaI really enjoyed reading your blog. I like your ideas and I totally agree with you!
You have clearly listed your ideas and each paragraph deals with one idea.
In the paragraph where you have written the counter paragraph, you should refute it more clearly. You are supposed to fight for what you think is right and for that reason, you should try to oppose to the counter argument in every way you can.
When it comes to your language, I can only agree with Marika. I noticed, though, that you do not over-use the s-form (third person singular) any more! Brilliant!
Keep up like this!
Love,
Maria
Dear Mia!
SvaraRaderaI had a interesting reading. You clearly pointed out your thoughts in your text. I like your introduction, it made me really want to read the whole thing.
You have followed the rules about the paragraphs so there I have nothing to say. But you should be more clear about what you stand for and for what reason.
Keep up the good work
/Agnes